Therapeutic medical massage has been shown to be highly effective at reducing cases of future chronic pain conditions by dealing effectively with the base cause of the problem. Current studies have shown that the vast majority of pain in chronic conditions, over 80%, comes from soft tissue injuries and over 74% is directly related to trigger points. As well as eliminating the base cause of the pain and helping the individual to live a less painful existence, medical massage therapy is very cost effective. Less time is spent away from work or having to deal with the side effects of pain reducing drugs.
Benefits of therapeutic medical massage.
The specific benefit of medical massage therapy depends on the condition that is being treated. However, benefits of the therapy can include:
- Releasing sore and tight muscles that can cause a lack of blood supply to soft tissues and hypersensitivity to touch; known as Ischemia
- Relieving nerve entrapment and compression
- Deactivating Myofascial trigger points
- Decreasing pain and inflammation
- Improving circulation and alleviating stress
- Aiding digestion
- Improving flexibility and range of motion
- Calming the nervous system
- Improving coordination and posture
- Helping prevent future chronic pain conditions
What is the difference between a massage therapist and a medical massage therapist?
A spa massage therapist and a clinical massage therapist can, and do, practice all types of modalities in both industries. The ultimate difference is the focus. In spa massage, the therapist is ultimately focused on the satisfaction of the client. In clinical massage, the ultimate focus is on functional outcomes.